Sunday, April 15, 2007

Allie's Reading Diary

"A Rape in Cyberspace"

This article was very interesting from the very beginning. I found it a little hard to read at first, but after you read for awhile it got a little easier. This article shows that a "rape in cyberspace" can have serious consequences in real life. I was shocked as to how NYU students took the cyber world to a new level and was disgusted what they must have found funny. I had never really thought of the effects things like this could have on real life. It amazed me as too how hurt people could get from other peoples dumb actions.


"Chapter Five: Multi-User Dungeons and Alternate Identities"

"What's the matter with these people?" and "Don't they have lives?" These are questions that are asked by many people when they hear of peoples obsession with these MUD's. I am not very well informed on the virtual world, and I had never really given it much thought, but when I do think of people that participate in this world, I wonder, "Don't they have anything better to do with there time?" Rheingold gives a good explination of what these people are looking for. He explians that they are just looking for people and companionship. Even this I still find hard to understand. Also I think that it is very easy for people to get addicted too and this is a very scary thing to see.


"FBI Probes SL Gambling"

I found it very surprising that the Linden dollar could be turned in for real money. This little action is what makes this harmless online gambling into something that the FBI should be investigating. I don't agree with gambling, and I deffinately dont agree with any type of online gambling.

"Profitable Resident Growth Hits Record Peace"

I feel like SL users dont make very much, and for this reason I don't really understand why they are looking at the cash flow.

"Virtual Reality TV"

I think it makes sence that reality tv would take over SL, because lets be honest, it is basically taking over all forms of media. But I think this Big Brother show can add to people becoming addicted to SL which is not a good idea.

"The Pursuit of Happiness"

I don't really understand why someone that is popular in real life would even want to go on a SL. It seems that what they have in the real world would make them happy enough. I thought that most people that used SL liked the imaginary part of it.

"Happy Talk"

I think that it is cool that in this article you can basically do what you've always wanted too and be what ever you want to be.

"Charity Raises Funds with Homeless Avatar"

This article shows that having the Linden dollar be transferable for real money could actually be a positive thing. This would be a great us of the SL avatar.

No comments: