Monday, April 16, 2007

Reading Diary

"Study on Pursuit of Happiness in SL"
It was interesting to read that the study found that most people act the same way in RL as they do on SL. The data was not the most reliable since it was circumstantial data but it was definitely a surprise. Also that there was very little gender tampering. I would have thought that SL was a place for people just to do whatever and play around, but it seems that people are taking it more seriously than I had imagined.

"High End SL"
SL is it's own economy? I could not believe that there are people making an upwards of 5000 USD a month on SL. That's about 60k a year, if that is supplemental income that is incredible!! If I had known about SL and the lucrative possibilities it had then I would be spending much more time in there.

"Congressional Democrats agenda gets SL Stage"
The article addresses the US 110 congresses movement onto SL. Not surprisingly big brother is trying to figure out how to get paid using SL. They are discussing how to tax the exchange of money that is happening in SL. It seems silly because the money that people make gets taxed later when they spend it in RL, it seems redundant to tax it in SL.

"The Grid Review Brings animated newscasts to SL"
Animated news on SL from Peter Jennings to John Stewart. Great idea!! It would be awesome if you could watch streaming vids of your fav tv show or movie in SL. For some it would be like multitasking, they would never have to leave the computer.

"Second Life Sketches: Island of Lost Souls"
Finally I got the most pressing question to my mind answered by SL. There is a way for my avatar to die. I just need to find the death pit described by the article where I can play out my video game fantasies with my avatar!! Also it is interesting to find out that there is a market for VR grave sites. It probably saves a great deal of money and, as far a I can foresee, may end up being more long lasting than RL grave plots.

"Europe takes the Lead in SL Users"
Although the USA has the most users, by far, of a single nation, Europe now has over 50% of all users on SL. It also seems that in Europe, especially in France, SL has become a safe space for political protests as elections get closer.

No comments: