Saturday, April 28, 2007

Fan Fiction

While browsing through fan fiction, I didn't know where to start. I had no idea what I was looking for, and what I was going to find. I started by just browsing for television shows and movies that had been of some interest to myself.
The first fan fiction I read was based off of the show "The Office." I love that show and watch it every week, so I decided to give it a chance. I was hoping not to come across a love scene involving my beloved character Jim; luckily I did not. I found this form of fan fiction very entertaining. It was like I was "watching" an actual epidsode. It was funny, and charming all at the same time. I found myself laughing and being able to picture the characters saying and doing exactly what the author had written. . After reading the responses from the readers, I wasn't the only one that was enjoying it.
The other fan fiction I read about was based off of the show Sex and the City. There were only two stories written, and I found one to be similar to the show. It was entertaining to read, but wasn't something that would draw me in. Because I wasn't as interested in these writings, I decided to focus my attention on "The Office." I went back and read other Office stories to see if they were just as interesting as the first one I read. I found that, for the most part, they were all pretty entertaining. It was as if a whole new season of The Office had started. The only difference is, it seemed to reflect the feelings of viewers of the real show. A lot of the Office fan fiction dealt with a relationship between Jim and Pam (two characters that I've wanted to get together for a long time!) It seemed that since the tv show didnt put them together, fan fiction authors would. This is the similar reason to why I would write my fan fiction based off of the television show The Office. I could alter endings and change things from the tv show to favor how I wanted things to turn out. I would want to focus the writing to the witty comments that are produced on the show. I wouldn't really get too involved in any romantic relationships. Nothing more that what already happens on the show, but still keeping it G rated. I wouldn't be too interested in how many people read my story.; that's not important to me. I think what is important is that people who are already fans of the show can come and appreciate the new stories.

No comments: