Thursday, April 26, 2007

Fan Fiction

I read this assignment with some familiarity mostly because I have interacted with the fanfiction community before - however, not with the movies and TV shows the example websites have, but with anime fanfiction. Anime fanfiction is more focused along the lines of "pairings", which are romantic interactions between characters whether or not those interactions existed in the source material.

For a while now, I've been watching (some would say "obsessed with") the anime Naruto, and when I wandered online one day to see what Naruto communities there were online, I stumbled upon the Naruto fanfiction scene. I've read my fair share of fanfictions, and even written a few (not my proudest moment).

Here are a few fanfics I've enjoyed...

A Little Harmony - One of the few truly believable "alternate universe" fanfictions, and the best I've ever read. This was also one of the first fanfictions I read - and when I learned just how addictive reading these things could be. I stayed up until 2 or 3 in the morning reading this (and ended up snoozing through a morning class... but it was worth it!). This is an example of a long fanfic with a developed plot.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3045930/1/

Tools of the Trade - This is an example of the kind of story I usually write and enjoy the most - the genre's called "fluff". Fluff is usually less than 5000 words (often referred to as a oneshot) and more often than not features some sort of romantic tension or interaction. They're usually silly little things, but some of them are serious. There's only a very basic plot present in these.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3305848/1/

Something Like That - A third example of a different genre of fanfiction: the "crack" fic. Crackfics feature the characters behaving very out-of-character or in random situations, and are usually humorous in nature.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3035941/1/

If you'd care to read my writing (warning: I'm a talentless hack who can only write fluff stories :[ ), here's a little fluff piece I wrote for a fanclub's contest a few days ago.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3506440/1/

No comments: