Monday, April 16, 2007

Reading Journal

"Rape in Cyberspace"

This article was very strange to me. At first I did not understand what was going on, but as the story progressed I began to understand a little more about the virtual reality world that these people interact in. Even though the rape that was played out online was different that what you imagine rape in real life to be, it was still violating. From this article I realized how serious people take this virtual reality life. I agree that the rape online was violating and should not be tolerated, but the degree to which the victims and their friends took to “toad” Mr. Bungle showed how important VR life was to them. The other point that did not make sense to me was why they killed off Mr. Bungle. Just like I was thinking in my head, the user of Mr. Bungle came back as a different character. I thought that they would have a better means to monitor their users.


"Virtual Community"
In this article is the idea that most people who are involved in a virtual community are probable presenting themselves differently online than they do in real life. Identity and social lines are blurred allowing people to present themselves how they seem fit. Communities offer a place for people, who might not fit in the real world, to go and be accepted by others. Because people are accepted it might cause individuals to get addicted. I was astonished to hear the story of the boy going home and missing his train by 5 hours and still delaying going home just to be online. I feel online ties are important because people who don’t mesh with the real world can have a place to go to interact. However, I feel that this addiction to VR can be harmful because you can stop developing real life ties, and only rely on ties formed online.

Amsterdam sold for $50,000”
All I have to say about that is wow! Even though that shows huge financial standing in Second Life, I feel that it is taking the game too far.

"Top Women's Apparel Makers Should Raise Their Prices Study"
This report shows that people are willing to spend more money on SL clothing. I could not imagine spending money on an avatar that is not even real. What happens when you get sick of SL? I think that it is a waste of money.

“Charity raises funds with homeless avatar.”
I think that this is a great idea to help raise awareness. I think that this advertising could be very beneficial and a great tool in helping to make a difference in our society.

“Virtual Reality TV: Big Brother launch in SL”
I think that the introduction of this idea brings a new face to reality television. It’s just my opinion, because I’m not caught up in VR, but I think that this is once again taking it too far. Contestants are supposed to spend 8 hours a day on SL, that is the length of time people spend at work. How can people spend that much time in one day online?

“Artists struggle but don’t starve in SL”
Artists are able to sell pieces that they have created online throughout SL. The money isn’t what is the most appealing to the artists, its more the response they get from people viewing their work. A plus, that carries out from just SL, is that popularity in SL can lead to popularity in real life. I found the quote, “…but in a world without hunger at least there aren’t any starving artists,” to be hilarious.

“The Island of Lost Souls”
In this article it talks about a place in SL dedicated to deceased people in real life. For a monthly fee you can have the name of a loved one inscribed on a raised stone along with a personal message. I believe that this offers people with a different type of closure. I think that this is a good idea for SL. I feel that since people spend so much time on SL, they would see this memorial to a loved one more than one at a cemetery in real life.


No comments: