Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Fan Fiction

When I began my navigation of the Fan Fiction Index, I started by looking for titles that were relevant to what I am personally interested in or could identify with based on being of fan of the actual film or television program. Just beginnning my search through the titles, I was suprised by the variety of programs that people have taken and created their own spin on the characters and their stories. There was everything from Days of Our Lives to Harry Potter to the classic film Goonies. While I have never heard of the emerging genre of Fan Fiction, it appears to be on the rise and any popular program is up for grabs, with additions to be added through sequals and chapters to stories written by the same author. It could almost be seen as a television series in writing, as many people post responses expressing their excitement for the next chapter to the story. As I continued to search through the index, I chose to focus on some of my own personal favorite programs to see how other people chose to twist or create additional story lines. From the selection, I chose to really examine Law and Order:SVU, which is a show I can easily watch for hours.

As I browsed through various stories written about SVU, I found a few focused on the ADA character of Casey Novack, especially two titled "Charming the Incorrigible" and "Question Words." In these stories, I found it interesting how some authors chose to focus around her feelings of alienation as the new attorney and how she didn't feel accepted by the SVU squad and how she, as an overachiever, was determined to win their respect and acceptance. I think that I found these short stories to be so interesting because in programs like SVU or even CSI we are never really exposed to the emotions of the characters like the police officers or laywers, these plot lines are typically devoted to the characters who play the victims, so through this fan fiction, we are exposed to a different side to the characters.

With this idea in mind, I would propose the idea to continue on with the SVU series and continue on with the idea of exploring the thoughts and emotions of the police officers. Through this it would be possible to learn about how investigating such vicious crimes actually effect the characters on a more personal level, instead of just seeing them in their professional state as they investigate crime scenes. Here we would be able to see a more personal side to these characters, but I wouldn't want to include any romantic aspects to the stories.

No comments: