Friday, April 27, 2007

Reading Assignments

Creators:
I found this article to be very interesting. Since I am a huge fan of Disney movies I have this image of their movies as being very creative and "cute" (because I am a girl and I say those things). Even though their movies are still creative, this article shows that their productions are not always orignal. Ideas for their movies have been "borrowed." These borrowed ideas are turned into a unique piece because of slight alterations that were made. After reading Emily's blog, I thought to myself, 'What in the world hasn't been previously influenced?' She brought up the example of the fashion industry, and I found that to be a great example. If everything is based on what is "in fashion" that season, who does get ownership for the original ideas? I don't put industries down because of this "borrowing", and I don't think any less of them. This article just opened my eyes to how important competing people are in your specified field of interest, because from others you can redirect and reshape your own ideas.

Declaration of Independence
I really liked this article. I don't have a lot to say about it, but to me it pretty much said, "Leave us alone." I ilked it, it really held its ground and went against authority in a way.

Chapter four: Pirates
I found this article interesting because of the fact that big industries are fighting for protection from piracy when they themselves are guilty of it. Radio is a big example of an industry that is born of piracy. Everytime they play a song it is a "public performance," therefore, they need to pay the composer. Law states that the radio station needs to pay the composer but not recording artists. The article states, "The radio station thus gets something for nothing." I found that to be kind of shocking. Think of how many songs they play a day! Well, I guess I can't really get too involved into the lack of money paid to recording artists, seeing how i've downloaded my own music without paying.

No comments: