Monday, April 16, 2007

Emily's reading diary

Second Life Annotations
1. "Top Women's Apparel Makers Should Raise Their Prices Study"
This article shows how people in Second Life are willing to spend more money on new clothes for their avatars. Even though this is a growing trend in the world of Second Life, I don't really understand how a person can jusitify spending actual money on clothes for a person that doesn't actually exist. It seems like a waste of money to me, but then again I spend money on activities I particpate in, so I guess someone could argue that they are doing the same thing....

2. Charity raises funds with homeless avatar
I think that the development of this homeless avatar is a very creative and innovative way to raise awareness about the issues pertaining to homelessness in our country. Mabe this could actually be an effective tool to bring a difference.

3. Virtual reality TV: Big Brother to Launch in Second Life
It really seems like Second Life is starting to think of everything. I mean now some of our country's favorite television shows are being created virtually, but I mean why don't we just watch the real thing??

4. Study on Second Life and the Pursuit of Happiness
I thought that it was very interesting that there is a correlation between the well being of a person in real life to their well being in the world of Second Life. It does make sense to me though that a person who is characterized as shy in real life would find a sort of freedom in Second Life through the concealment of their identity, resulting in a new found confidence and development of relationships in Second Life.

5. FBI Probes Second Life Gambling
I found it very interesting to learn that the Linden Dollar could actually be exchanged for real money. While I do not support gambling, at this time, until there it has been shown that such actions in Second Life can be qualified as illegal gambling, I don't think that FBI investigation is necessary.

No comments: