Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Fan Frenzie

While navigating the Fan Fiction Index, I explored the workings of the "movie" section. I checked out a few different films that I have recently enjoyed such as She's the Man, Mean Girls, and School of Rock to find out what people were writing about them. It was very impressive to find a lot of creative entries with potential for concrete results. Sequels could be born out of many of the entries I read, especially for those who dedicated time into creating actual chapters for a new storyline. There was definitely a large amount of entertainment value within the lines of these fictional stories. I would enjoy a flick following the lives of the kids in School of Rock as they age to middle schoolers and/or high schoolers. Plus, a Mean Girls 2 would probably be a great success since the first one did so well.

After reviewing a few of the entries on movies such as those listed above, I came across a title that I thought would be particularly interesting to our population. I saw in the list of titles Bend it Like Beckham, a movie which portrayed female soccer players in London who end up fulfilling their dream to come to America, coincidentally to play soccer at Santa Clara. Purely out of the desire to find out what was written about Santa Clara, I decided to investigate.
I first found a mock interview with the main character in the movie, Jess, in which she is being asked about playing at SCU. It's rather short, and it is clear that the person who wrote it didn't know much about SCU. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3077295/1/
In another entry entitled "LA Virgins," the girls spend spring break in LA and end up romantically involved. I guess I should have caught on by reading into the title, but alas no. So the story is a very sensual femslash of two girlfriends falling in love, not pertaining much to SCU student life. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2090095/1/

I think that it would be more effective if I were to write my own Fan Fiction piece on what happens to the girls when they arrive at SCU to play soccer. Having experienced being a freshman in various dorms, and now living with a female soccer player, I think I'm qualified to write a fiction piece on their lives after the end of the movie. It could follow episodes of the girls struggle to fit in with the team traditions, coaching, and more challenging league. In addition, it could show how they handle classes and socialization as college freshmen. It could entail the new strains on their relationships with people from home, with possible visits from family and boyfriends. Needless to say, I probably would not have the two girls fall in love with each other. They were straight in the first movie, and I would plan on keeping it that way.

No comments: