Tuesday, April 29, 2008

'fan fiction' is like real fiction but made by fans...

Sorry for the obnoxious title.

I'm browsing fanlib.com and have come across a few interesting pieces of fan fiction. The very first thing I noticed is that tons and tons and tons of pieces have been created around the Harry Potter plot and theme. This is sensible, as our generation grew up during the Harry Potter phenomenon and our generation, people born between 1985 and 1992, constitute the greatest contingency of fan fiction writers.

The first piece of fan fiction was a canon with Harry the illegitimate son of Severus Snape. The piece wasn't exactly clever or anything, but I found it interesting as it was interspersed among thousands of other Harry Potter pieces that were all about romances between students from Hogwarts. I guess one can see the different tangents boy and girl Harry Potter fans take.

I moved away from the Harry Potter posting after this one. I became a little irritated with all the faux romances, and plus Harry Potter becomes damn annoying after a while.

Moving onto the Pirates of the Caribbean fan fiction writings...105 pieces of romance, 91 adventure. Does this suggest higher fan fiction creation by female teens?

The 'Pirates' piece I read and liked the most was a 'dabble', creatively titled 'Nothing'. Well. I find the dabble an interesting parameter to work around.

It's interesting to note the huge differences in length, style, and compositional prowess. Pieces range from the most basic, unintelligible, made-by-third-grader pieces all the way up to the top. I saw one piece that was over 13,000 words long, although I'm sure that's not the maximum length of a piece of fan fiction on fanlib.com. I like this. The flexibility to create allows one to do basically anything they want. The fact that they already have a basic plot and scheme to work around, not to mention working under the assumption that people reading the piece of fan fiction intimately know the story, means that all the difficulties of true fiction writing, i.e. character creation, plot, and setting are all taken care of. To write a piece of fan fiction, one needs not a wealth of skills nor, even, an ability to write well.

Here's my piece of fan fiction about, what else, Harry Potter. I would like to create an alternate ending to one of the Hemingway novels I've just read but I feel the audience who might read this post would not understand the plot or characters. To keep it simple and applicable I'll write this instead, a 'dabble'.

Magic happens at Hogwarts. Ron knew this for sure as he rolled over and on top of the Ravenclaw girl he had met at the House-Mixer. The maroon curtains of the four-post bed in the soft candlelight were the exact color of the wine he had drunk, and like the wine seemed to envelop and cover and comfort and make smooth his actions. “Baby, I love you,” he lied softly into her ear. Her skin was soft and warm and smooth, her breath sweet and her mouth wet. He pondered simply as to what he might do with his wand.

-Jacob

No comments: