Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Dibbell

Yeah this is disturbing stuff. It's like being taken into the creepy backyard of someone's psyche. I agree with the statement, "in the MOO, the body IS the mind." Of course this is up for interpretation and opinion of the person reading, but in essence I think anyone that has ever spent time interacting with others online, you can get a sense of when you're being abused. It's a struggle to reconcile the idea of virtual rape, as the person always has the ability to log off at any time. If we consider the power that the virtual world has over someone's ability to control their actions, then the logical point derived is that, the person willingly played a part in the behavior. I found that Dibbell's writing was dark and I left feeling like I had to take a shower afterwards, like walking through a brothel in hell. 




No comments: