Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Eli's Gaming Diary

I enjoy playing video games. They can be a lot of fun and can take your mind off of the general stresses of life. Yet there have not been many games that one can really call informative. I guess that is where these "social impact" games attempt to come in.

Now I have always been a fan of flash games (I love addictinggames.com, especially the entire "bloons" series) so simple games are totally fine with me, but you have to draw the line somewhere, and most of the games that I played definitely fell short of that line.

The first game I played was "
Presidential Pong" where I played pong as Obama against Giuliani. Now first of all this game was, for lack of a better word, lame. Secondly, Giuliani is nowhere near in the running anymore, so this game is not even informative anymore. Thus I argue that this game was just plane terrible.

Next, I played "The Arcade Wire: Bacteria Salad." This game looked like a sim game, where you try and manage crops, but for a flash game had way too many rules (I've come to realize that the simpler the flash game, the better). You had to build a farm, then grow crops, then I think a pig would come out and poo on the crops and your customers would get ecoli, or something. All that I got out of this is that farming is probably hard, but I knew that, so overall this game seemed too hard to play, boring, and uninformative.

Then I moved onto the more delightful "The Arcade Wire: Oil God." Here you played God. You could send a tornado down upon the earth, or an earthquake, you could change economies and political systems, etc, all in hopes to raise gas prices. The goal was to double the gas prices as fast as possible. My top score was in 64 days by pitting every nation against each other at war, and also putting them all in civil war. This game taught me different reasons why gas prices go up. It was also easy to use, and pretty fun.

Now, I moved onto "Faith Fighter." This game can definitely be described as wrong. The tag line was: "
Faith Fighter is the ultimate fighting game for these dark times. Choose your belief and kick the shit out of your enemies. Give vent to your intolerance! Religious hate has never been so much fun." So basically you choose what religious figure you want to fight as. I had the most success as Jesus, but you could also play as God, Muhammad, Ganesha, Buddha and Budai. Then you fight all of the other religious figures. Each one has his own special power and they can all punch and kick. After defeating everyone you play the final boss, Xenu. Now I'd have no idea who this was if it weren't for "South Park" that taught me that Xenu is the figure that Scientologists believe in. This game was very easy to play, kind of fun, not very informative, and yet kind of felt bad to be playing it, especially when I was playing as Jesus and knocked out God, thats just weird.

The last game I played was Queer Power. At the start you say if you are a "Dick Lover" a "Pussy Lover" or "Other or Confused." Depending what you chose, different sexual positions are better or worse for you. The game is as sexually explicit as a naked silhouette with an erection or breasts can be. The object of the game appears to be to reach an orgasm before your partner does and you can change sexes and positions and some give you more pleasure than others. Its an easy game to play, but really strange and not informative at all.

No comments: