Sunday, May 11, 2008

Reflections for week six

The Indymedia US directory has several interesting articles which were all fairly liberal writings concerning things such as walks against the death penalty, support for the homeless as well as an article on the killings of sea lions near the Portland, OR area. Throughout the site were a multitude of links providing information on a huge number of causes. I usually don’t visit sites like this so it was interesting to read the different excerpts and article titles.  

I thought the Abahlali BaseMjondolo site was very interesting. How it is that a ‘shackdwellers’ movement’ has a website? This really shows how globalization has taken the world by storm. Do these people have access to the internet and update the information? I read the short history section but I’m still a little confused as to how this website works.  

Finally a few thoughts on the yes men link. The stories on this site were hilarious. The whole article on how a fake representative from ExxonMobil tried to convince a group of oilmen that we can utilize humans in the future to make ‘vivoleum’ by processing dead bodies was pretty ridiculous. I really enjoyed looking through this site and reading about these controversial ideas.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Ok I have a pretty random comment. I know the whole exxon thing sounds pretty crazy, but I read in a magazine that Sweden actually uses cremated bodies to provide heating for homes. I know that sounds weird, but I did read it in a pretty legitimate source (but I can't remember the magazine title). Here's a link, not the best source, but it was the first I could find. Anyway I know this has nothing to do with this class, but your comment made me think of it.
http://demundo.net/deadswede.htm

here's another one about the UK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/technology/technology.html?in_article_id=473173&in_page_id=1965&in_page_id=1965&expand=true