Wednesday, May 14, 2008

YesMen

I just read the website about YesMen, who are people that impersonate others to get their version of the 'truth' out. The first article i read was about these YesMen impersonating Exxon oil executives at conference just today. Not only did they falsely imply that they were the executives giving this talk, but they were believed. They gave a speech about how Exxon had been researching into different fuel methods after oil, including using humans that are already dead to be burned into oil, much like the former whaling industry. These men went so far as to say that the candles they had everyone hold were a dead janitor. Although at this point people caught on, I had to ask what the point was. What kind of Truth, with a capital T are the YesMen trying to bring?

To me, I wonder where in this new media the accountability has gone. With this YesMen, posting articles, and essentially breaking into/stealing identities and giving out false information, where is the accountability? I think that not only is this idea to me a rather stupid one, but it cannot be legally sound.

I guess if you think the point of it all is to make other people think, then the YesMen accomplish it, but if I were in the audience listening to a lecture that was supposed to be based in factual evidence and by true authorities in their field, I don't think I would think it that funny. I think there are better ways to bring about attention to issues than to impersonate others and look like nothing more than prankster frat boys.

1 comment:

taofd said...

This could be considered a form of free speech. While yes, it may be considered rude to crash exxon's party, I'm not sure they were actually violating any laws. In the article, while they were detained, they were quickly released upon finding that they had actually not violated any specific laws.
Additionally, they were making a point in their actions. Especially for this particular scenario, I think it was highly satiric in what they did. Ironically enough, I think the fact that the whole affair was so believable, was an indication to how questionable the goals of our large oil conglomerations are.

What do you mean in terms of accountability? They aren't hiding their faces, striking from the shadows, vandalizing and launching hit and runs. No, they are standing up *in public* for all the world to see. If they get arrested, than so be it. They're putting their lives and careers on the line. If that's not accountability, I don't know what is.

They can hardly be compared to a bunch of frat boys. Frat boys wouldn't spend the time, nor effor to make those thousands of candles and powerpoint slides.