Sunday, May 4, 2008

How much is too much?

The blog I really think other people should read is Overheard in New York (http://www.overheardinnewyork.com/index-2.html). If we assume the stories submitted to the blog are true, then each contributor paints another part of the part of a community within New York. So, we’ll have humorous moments alongside depressing ones like the one from 2008-05-03 where a man did not have the time to honor his friend’s passing until four years after. He said this, “I’ve been busy.” Chalk it up to a bad relationship but last time I checked, I wouldn’t waste money in a bar if I didn’t like the guy (drink’s are like 7 bucks nowadays). Is it possible that our lives can get that busy?
I think the internet is one of the main sources of this problem. Think of it this way, if you are awaiting a business transaction or responding to a variety of clients, e-mailing can consume a hour of your morning—throw in family into the mix as well. Now, if we look around campus, there are tons of ways to stay connected to the internet. We have cell phones, blackberries, iPhones, the computer labs sprinkled throughout campus, and free wifi for our laptops. In that sense, the feeling that we always have to do something pops into our minds.
Ironically, a blog is what sparked this idea to begin with so I can’t help but admire how a blog just feels like a reading at some cafĂ© in San Francisco. From what I’ve read so far, it looks cathartic. I guess it takes a conscious effort to avoid losing one’s perspective on life.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Do you think it's the internet that makes one feel like they always have something to do? Or is it technology in general? Or our work-obsessed culture, the need to succeed (financially)? On another note, I checked out that blog, Overheard in New York - it's pretty addicting! I reckon making a similar blog related to overhearing people on the SCU campus would be interesting...

thegirl said...

I think its a really interesting question to ask: whether technology is helping us manage our busy lives or if our lives are busier because of the technology? I'd like to think that the availability of the internet has helped me out in life, especially at school, but Im not sure... maybe people would demand less of us if we didn't have the resources.
In response to the blog I though it was absolutely hilarious, not only the things that people were saying but also the things that people were choosing to write down. There's something that seems almost intrusive about somebody listening into your private conversations... but then again, if its anonymously reproduced maybe it can just be a big laugh for all involved...