Monday, May 7, 2007

Third Post

As I have continued to read different blogs and the class weblog throughout the week, I have noticed the common theme that people enjoy the anonymity that the blogs offer both the creator and the reader. Like I stated in one of my previous blogs, Postsecret was my favorite blog, as it seems to be a favorite of many in our class as well. I haven't been able to stop reading it as I am intrigued by the courage people have to divulge their deepest secrets. While I don't know if I would ever personally write my own blog, I could see how it is a great form of release both creatively and mentally to just sit and write down anything that is on your mind. I do find it interesting though how the medium for personal expression has changed. Before writing like this usually took the form of a journal or diary, but today people are choosing to publish their thoughts and emotions on the web for everyone to see. I think I would personally like to keep my thoughts to myself, but I guess it is also helpful to see that others have the same experiences and thoughts as ourselves. Actually while I was reading different blogs, my roommate was looking at some with me, and she actually suggested that I start my own blog because she thinks that the random occurences of my own life would make people laugh and that I need some sort of creative release. I couldn't help but laugh at that, and I doubt that will ever happen...

To comment on Allie's post about the water polo website, the same thing happened on a more local water polo site where people could post about other players and big games and make predictions about the state tournament. Before long, it turned into a place for players to anonymously tear other players apart and was eventually shut down. I think its interesting how people can now use the web to disguise themselves and then say things that they would never say in front of others because they feel safe behind the mask of the internet.

No comments: