Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Piehole: Defying Convention and Stirring Laughter

Andrea recommended the Piehole blog so I decided to pay particular attention to it. Curiously, the picture on Piehole’s homepage stands as a great representation of this strangely charming blogger. The picture is of a 50’s pin-up woman who naturally looks quite seductive with her ruby red lips and regal fur coat. Yet the irony surfaces in that this elegant temptress clutches a tall glass of beer. One wouldn’t expect a refined woman to be holding a beer and laughing, but the power behind this portrait is that it symbolizes Piehole as a woman who defies conventional standards of sophistication with her frank remarks and vernacular of words like “grody”. Moreover, who can’t be enchanted by a woman who heads her blog with the caption “Surely its happy hour somewhere.”

Just as Andrea posited, I found myself laughing hysterically while reading Piehole’s blog. While some of the humor was rather vulgar, her straight without sugar attitude was quite refreshing. (For those brave enough check out http://www.liscious.net/piehole/archives/cat_the_boob_tube.php. Hint: the words “maxi pad” and “cooch odor” are used). Perhaps the reason I was so enthralled by her blogs is because she is from Seattle. It was comforting reading the sentiments of a fellow Seattleite and her bluntness definitely reminded me of attitudes at home.

Additionally, I can relate with Andrea and her desire to know what bloggers look like. Piehole obviously is a unique woman, and consequently I wonder how she expresses herself through her appearance. Is she the pink-haired woman adorned in green spandex holed up in a bakery at Pike Place market? Or paradoxically, is she the woman wearing the stylish business suit that goes home at night and takes on the persona of a 34-year-old self-professed drunk blogger in order to escape the turmoil of work? Obviously Pieholes appearance does not change the way she writes, but it is fascinating to reflect on how it is an innate desire to form a mental image of the author.

Part of my attraction to Piehole’s blog was her connection with Seattle. Subsequently I decided to check out Seattle blogs since I was passionate about this subject. Even if you aren’t from Seattle, I suggest that you check out http://seattle.blogmob.org/. It is an excellent site that compiles blogs from a myriad of Seattleites, and the sarcasm and political fervor that pervades these blogs is remarkable.

1 comment:

skwok said...

I think the fact that the Piehole blog link was directly under the My Boyfriend is a Twat link turned me off, but after reading your exceptional comments on it, I couldn't help but at least check it out. Even after the first entry, I couldn't help but laugh and was immediately interested.