Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Why are tthere so many female bloggers--is this women suffrage still venting?!

Why are all these blogs female authors, where is the male blog voice? The blog that fit me the best from the brief list of blogs given has so far been the piehole blog. I think the straightforwardness and innuendos come off as entertaining insights into this person’s life. While other blogs read thus far have been insightful they also have been plainly boring. Consider reading 19th century English literature with a heavy emphasis on social realism—that is where these blogs from boring hell come from. I tend to like the social commentary that people put into blogs that is about them, who they are, how they see the world; commentary that they have trouble expressing through conversation. I enjoy the ‘tabloid’ blog--The blog that throws out ideas and thoughts that are provoking and entertaining. I personally do not care for blogs like http://www.dooce.com/ where someone goes through there day of seeing a frog by a pond. I like to here other people’s thoughts. When I read blogs I enjoy the feeling of being Mel Gibson’s character from “What Women Want”, I like the private insights, snide humor, self conversation that some people are able to write.


HAHAHA verbatim: Send at least one post that finishes these sentences: “If I were to maintain a weblog, I’d like to make it like a conversation with myself where my thoughts are uninhibited and I can say what a want and mean what I say. I would like to know that my blog is anonymous to to all readers but my closest friends. I would not emphasize inside jokes but rather a satirical social commentary on life—local, regional, national, and international. I would exhaust my stereotypes, prejudices, criticisms, frustrations, and desires through my blog. Like a personal note pad of thoughts where I write how I am feeling, what I have been thinking about and what I want to do in the future. I want to be able to record my ideas for future reference. Perhaps through my blog I will be able to hone a sense of what I want to do with my life. Instead of keeping my thoughts inside I would have an outlet where my mouth does not move and people do not listen. I would consider my blog a private and public place. By private I mean that my blog is about my private thoughts and by public I mean that anyone has the ability to read my thoughts but they will likely not be able to connect my thoughts to me. So far there is not a blog that I cannot stop reading, I would rather read the Onion and as for now I cannot recommend any blog for other people to read, but hopefully in the future I will be able to.

2 comments:

dejesus_fc said...

I also noticed the female dominance of the personal blogs. There seems to be quite a bit of man-hating going on with this "all men are twats" business! If it was socially acceptable according to the cultural gender guidelines for men to vent like this, I'm sure it would be different.
They weren't that insightful, but also weren't that bad - i sorta enjoyed reading them, and I can see why others do too. I think we are always interested in the lives others lead - maybe because of our insecurities or maybe curiosity - I'm not sure why.

Josh said...

Well, the societal expectations for female expression aren't quite as strict as the ones on men. Men are expected to be more closed and unemotional than women - in a lot of the male blogs, not a lot of emotion exists except for accepted male emotions such as anger. Society seems to imply that by admitting emotion, men are losing their manliness and equating themselves to females, who face no social stigma from publicizing their emotion. Women are allowed to show emotions like sadness, fear, etc. - just like it's societally acceptable for women to cry in public, whereas men are expected to contain within themselves these emotions and be the strong and silent type. Females are by nature more social creatures than males because of these societal expectations, and it seems as if this is reflected in the blogosphere.

It's a lonely road.