Thursday, May 3, 2007

We Blog as a Job while others just Blog

So I am reading other people’s blogs and I have begin to think about why this particular blog, “Counterpower”, does not work as a blog. For real blogs to exist they need bloggers who have a restless desire to maintain a diary of their thoughts online. For “Counterpower” I believe we as a class add to the blog as a task, a piece of homework that needs to be done and checked off the list of things to do. Most bloggers in my opinion, blog (yes I am using blog as a verb, noun, and adjective) because they enjoy scripting out their thoughts and baiting other people’s responses. Because I view blogs and bloggers as no more qualified than I am, I have decided to splatter my own thoughts (intelligent or not) on this blog. So, let us begin with my recent thoughts on lighting. I have come to treasure the twilight hours of the day and furthermore come to believe that lighting is one of the most important attributes about creating a fengshui environment. I am thinking that to simulate the sunset a blend of pink, orange, yellow, and light blue lights would work well in lighting a room for atmosphere. I have more to say about this, but we have a quota to fulfill (3 posts and 3 responses), so unlike a real blog I will cut off here and add later.

3 comments:

aseppala said...

I was very intrigued by your blog. I didn't really think about posting to Counterpoint as a job, until you brought it up. I believe blogs are best and most interesting when they are passionate, personal diaries of topics that people find most interesting in their own lives. Obviously, counterpoint is no such blog. However, we are still writing comments and posts about issues we find engaging. So, although counterpoint may not be the ideal blog, its status as a blog cannot be disputed.

Kendal said...

I'll admit, I am guilty of every now and then writing a blog on the oh so famous myspace but I have to agree with Danny in his comments above. I feel that if this were not a part of my grade, there would be no way that I would be participating in something like this. However, I think that it is good for us to be required to do this because it makes us really think about the readings and what each other are saying. If this was not a requirement, we would do what the typical college student does and passively listen/read to our collegues while thinking about more "important" things such as what alcoholic beverages we are going to consume later that night.

Julianne Seubert said...

I think that there is no debating the fact that blogs are better when they are written on the authors own accord. An individual's motive for writing a blog is what makes it so powerful. Are they writing to vent or speculate about universal truths? Are they writing to expose a secret or give advice? The authors of blogs are not writing for an external reward; rather they are writing for their own internal fulfillment. I honesty believe that when an individual is writing for themselves, their thoughts will be deeper and more meaningful because their motive for writing is genuine. Consequently blog readers are endowed with a newfound understanding of this individual: once again representing how identity can be extracted through writing.